When considering an assisted living or memory care facility for a loved one, a facility tour is a crucial step. It offers firsthand insight into the daily operations, care standards, and overall environment. But to truly ascertain if a facility is the right fit, it’s essential to ask the right questions. Here is a comprehensive list of questions that can help guide your visit and decision-making process.
- Care and Services
– What is the staff-to-resident ratio during the day and at night?
– How is the care plan developed, and how often is it reviewed?
– Are there nurses and medical professionals available 24/7?
– What type of training does the staff undergo?
– How are medical emergencies handled?
– Are there specialized programs for residents with specific conditions, such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s?
– What types of rooms or apartments are available?
– Can residents bring their own furniture or decor?
– How is residents’ privacy maintained?
– Are there safety features in rooms and common areas, like handrails and emergency call buttons?
– Are there different floor plans, and can I see them?
- Daily Life
– What is the daily schedule for residents?
– Are there organized activities? Can I see an activity calendar?
– How are residents’ cultural and religious needs accommodated?
– What are the visitation policies?
- Dining and Nutrition
– Can I see a sample menu for the week?
– How are special dietary needs and restrictions handled?
– Can residents request specific meals or snacks?
– Are family members able to dine with residents?
- Fees and Contracts
– What is included in the monthly fee, and what services come at an additional cost?
– Are there different payment or contract options available?
– Is there an annual increase in fees? If so, by how much?
– What is the policy on refunds and transfers?
- Safety and Security
– What security measures are in place to protect residents?
– How are residents protected during emergencies like fires, tornadoes, or power outages?
– How often are safety drills conducted?
– Is there a procedure for checking on residents daily?
- Social and Recreational Activities
– What recreational facilities are available (e.g., gym, garden, library)?
– How does the facility support social engagement among residents?
– Are family members encouraged to participate in activities?
– How are residents’ hobbies and interests incorporated into the activity schedule?
– Are transportation services provided for appointments or outings?
– Is there an extra charge for transportation services?
– How are transportation needs scheduled and coordinated?
- Policies and Procedures
– What is the policy regarding medical appointments?
– How are grievances or concerns addressed and resolved?
– What are the policies regarding end-of-life care and decisions?
– Is there an orientation process for new residents?
- Personal Touches
– Are pets allowed? If so, what are the associated policies?
– Can residents personalize and decorate their living spaces?
– Are there salons or barber services on-site?
– What other conveniences are available to make residents feel at home?
Choosing the right assisted living or memory care facility is an essential decision that affects the well-being and happiness of your loved one. Being prepared with the right questions during your facility tour will ensure you gather all the necessary information to make an informed and confident choice.